Read this week’s eNEWS for a notice of upcoming events, a thank you to volunteers, a request for volunteers, notice of the 4J Parent Leaders Meeting, Showcase Roosevelt announcements, a call for Showcase volunteers, skateboard/scooter dock information, volunteer opportunity for older middle-schoolers, an adaptive bicycle open house, announcements for South Eugene summer soccer camp and volleyball camp, and the tentative 4J schedule for 2019-2020.Read this week’s eNEWS for a notice of upcoming events, a thank you to volunteers, a request for volunteers, notice of the 4J Parent Leaders Meeting, Showcase Roosevelt announcements, a call for Showcase volunteers, skateboard/scooter dock information, volunteer opportunity for older middle-schoolers, an adaptive bicycle open house, announcements for South Eugene summer soccer camp and volleyball camp, and the tentative 4J schedule for 2019-2020.
If you no longer wish to receive the eNEWS, please click on Unsubscribe in the footer at the bottom of this email.
- Upcoming Events
April 15th (M) – 4J Parent Leaders Meeting (6:30-8:00 PM) Eugene School District 4J, 200 N Monroe St
- April 19th (F) – Journeys & Justice Trip to Ashland
- April 26th (F) – Showcase Roosevelt (6:00-8:30 PM)
- May 1st (W) – 6th Grade Drama Showcase (6:30 PM)
- May 2nd (Th) – 6th Grade Drama Showcase (6:30 PM)
- May 3rd (F) – NO SCHOOL Grade Reports & Professional Development
- May 10th (F) – Activity Night (6:30 PM)
Thank You to our Amazing Volunteers!!
• Thank you to Maureen Sherman who coordinated the 8th Grade Picture Day with the help of Sarah Yapp, Anna Stehle, Trevor Means and Shay Frankel.
• Thank you to Praise Community Church who cleaned up the outside of our School a couple of weeks ago.
• Thank you to Liz Mulford for coordinating the Yearbook club with the help of Rebecca Taylor, Lewis Taylor and Eliza Lenore
• Thank you to Marie Peterson who is in charge of the Homework Club and to the tutors: Zoe Chihorek, Kat McClelland, Coral Pope, Lindsay Skinner, Kate Vu, Eric Yan, William Yu and Evan Henderson
• Kay Fullerton would like to thank the many parents who helped out in her science classes as they went to Amazon Creek for a nature walk. She states, “Having parent volunteers enables the students to explore in small groups, and this makes the experience so much better!” Thank to: Amy Villasenor, Kathy Lynn, Maria Gulemetova, Melody Spear, Matthew Herbert, Camilla Johnston, Sara Loveless-Mueller, Tammy Young, Helena Kadyszewski, Chelsea Farber, Victoria Robinson and Shannon Young
We have a few area where volunteers are needed. Please follow the directions below to become an official volunteer and click on the links to sign up for one or more of the activities:
Meets, Subdistrict & District Track Meet**
RMS Showcase, THIS IS US!**
6th Grade Cultural Festival Sign up**
**All volunteers must have a current background check at Roosevelt and pass the online training BEFORE volunteering at the school. To submit a background check please go to RMS Background Check.Once your background check is completed you will receive an email for a mandatory Volunteer Orientation from the School District (SafeSchools). This must be completed as soon as possible and BEFORE you volunteer. Please email a copy of the Certificate of Completion to Laura Fuhriman – firstname.lastname@example.org, or bring a copy to the RMS office.
4J Parent Leaders Network Meeting: April 15, 2019
Meeting Topic: Advocacy opportunities; parent involvement for social change locally and statewide
Guest Speakers: Rose Wilde, Oregon School Boards Association, Lane ESD and Karen Pérez, Ed.D. 4J Equity, Instruction & Partnership AdministratorDate: 04/15/2019 (Mon.)Time: 6:30pm – 8:00pm MDTLocation: Eugene School District 4J, 200 N Monroe St, Eugene, OR 97402
The 4J Parent Leaders Network is a volunteer network connecting parent organization leaders for mutual support meeting quarterly at the District Office at 200 North Monroe Street. Space and refreshments are provided by Eugene School District 4J. More details at https://parentleadersnetwork.org/
THIS IS US: A Showcase of RooseveltFriday, April 26th, 2019
Attention Roosevelt families: SAVE THE DATE! It’s almost time for THIS IS US: A SHOWCASE OF ROOSEVELT MIDDLE SCHOOL, our annual spring celebration and fundraiser, on Friday, April 26th from 6:00-8:30 PM.
This community event is an important time to welcome incoming families to Roosevelt and raise much-needed funds to support programs and staffing at our school. Bring your families for a night of fun, food, and celebration.
• Enjoy entertainment from students and staff in both the forum & the gym • Mingle with Roosevelt families and staff • Check out classroom demonstrations, students’ artwork, and more throughout the building • Bid on a wide variety of items in the Silent Auction and House Basket Auction in the gym • Middle schoolers can enter the Staffle Raffle for a chance to win fun events with their favorite teachers • Grab dinner, snacks, and desserts in the dining hall • Find fun for all ages with activities such as cake walk, photo booth, bingo and more throughout the building
*Please note that Showcase Roosevelt is a community event intended for both students and families. Students should be accompanied by adults as supervision is not provided.
Thank you to Palo Alto Software for becoming a Gold Level sponsor for Showcase. We appreciate your support of our school!
If you’d like more information about becoming a gold, silver, or bronze sponsor of RMS/Showcase please contact Shannon Tom at email@example.com.
Showcase Volunteers Needed!
Volunteers are needed to help make Showcase Roosevelt a success!! There are many different ways you can help. Volunteers are needed for:
• Putting together House Baskets • Donating baked goods • Helping set up • Selling tickets • Staffing activities (e.g., Bingo, photo booth) • Face-painting • Helping serve dinner • Silent auction support
Please click on the link below and sign up to help in any way you can! Thank you!!
Showcase Volunteer Sign-Up**
**All volunteers must have a current background check at Roosevelt and pass the online training BEFORE volunteering at the school.To submit a background check please go to RMS Background Check.Once your background check is completed you will receive an email for a mandatory Volunteer Orientation from the School District (SafeSchools). This must be completed as soon as possible and BEFORE you volunteer. Please email a copy of the Certificate of Completion to Laura Fuhriman – firstname.lastname@example.org, or bring a copy to the RMS office.
Dock it and Lock it!
Roosevelt’s Skateboard/Scooter Dock has been installed
Attention parents of skateboard and scooter riders: Roosevelt has installed a new skateboard & scooter dock near the front entry. All skateboards and scooters must now be locked up outside – no skateboards or scooters in the building.
Please make sure your student has a lock for his/her skateboard and that he/she securely locks boards and scooters in the new skateboard/scooter dock.
Older Middle School Aged Volunteer Opportunity!
The YMCA is looking for about 20 people to come and help us with our annual Healthy Kids Day event. This is a free community-wide event feared towards helping children and families create healthier, happier lives. We are currently looking for volunteers to help in a variety of ways including but not limited to set up or clean up, face painting, welcoming families, raffle table volunteers, game assistants and more!
The event itself runs from 11am to 2pm. Set up and clean up will happen before and after the event.To sign up: click here! For more info, email email@example.com.
Student Adaptive Bicycle Open House
WHEN: Tuesday, April 16th 3:30-6:30 PM
WHERE: Hilyard Community Center (2580 Hilyard St.)
WHAT: Join 4J, Eugene Rec and SafeRoutes for an afternoon of adaptive bicycle information.
• Free adaptive bicycle fittings! • Test different styles of adaptive bikes. • All ages students and their families are welcome (limited small sizes).
Questions? Contact Sarah Mazze: 541-790-7492 or firstname.lastname@example.org
More info on the adaptive bike program at: GetRec.org/recadaptive
South Eugene Soccer Camp Registration
WHO: All students entering Grades 1-9 in the FallWHEN: June 24-27, 2019 9am-2pmWHERE: South Eugene High School Turf Field
At SEHS Soccer Camp, your child will enjoy all the high school soccer team players as counselors, learn from their years of experience, and have a lot of fun improving his or her skills and confidence!
Games are played that are age appropriate for their grade. Kids are grouped by grade so they will see a lot of old and new friends. Each soccer player receives a new soccer ball. Cost $140 for 1st child $120 for 2nd child Free and Reduced Lunch $70.
Visit seathletics.com/main/campsclinics for more information.
Email email@example.com with any questions
South Eugene Volleyball Camp
The goal of SEHS Volleyball Camp is to provide a place for kids to learn the fundamentals of volleyball, gain valuable team experiences and build a competitive volleyball community. Camp proceeds are used to pay for program needs such as; nets, balls, uniforms, student gear andtournament travel.
Volleyball Camp Sessions: June 24-27-, 2019at South Eugene High School (400 E 19th Ave)Session 1 8:30 Am – 10:00 am (Grades 3-5)Session 2 10:30 Am – 12:30 pm (Grades 6-9)
Camp Fee $75 per camp ($10 sibling discount)
For more information contact camp director,Alicia Chamness, at:firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp registration forms available in the front office.
2019-2020 School Calendars Are On Their Way!
Many families are already making plans for next school year. 4J schools’ tentative dates, pending board approval, include:
2019–20 Tentative Key Dates for Students: • Orientation/Transition Day for Grade 9: Tue. September 3 • First Day of School (Except Grades 7 & 8): Wed. September 4 • First Day of School for Grades 7 & 8: Thu. September 5 • Winter Break: Sat. Dec. 21–Sun. Jan. 5 + Mon. Jan. 6 (potential makeup day) • Spring Break: Sat., March 21–Sun., March 29 • Last Day: June 11 (or later if weather makeup days are needed)