Weekly News & Updates
Check out this week’s eNEWS for upcoming events, a thank you to volunteers, a RAD update, a request for volunteers, a reminder about this Thursday’s RMS Parent Education event on stress, anxiety, and depression in Middle Schoolers, South Eugene wrestling, and upcoming Student Success Act meetings.
If you do not wish to receive the eNEWS, or no longer have a student at Roosevelt, please click on Unsubscribe in the footer at the bottom of this email.
Nov. 21st (Th) – Immigration Simulation (9:00 AM)
Nov. 21st (Th) – Site Council (3:45 PM)
Nov. 21st (Th) – PAR Education Night (6:00-7:30 PM)
Nov. 26th (T) – Stories for the Stage (7/8 Drama Showcase) (6:00 PM)
Nov. 27th (W) – Stories for the Stage (7/8 Drama Showcase) (6:00 PM)
Nov. 28th-29th (Th & F) – NO SCHOOL: Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 2nd (M) – NO SCHOOL: Grading Day
A big thank you to the volunteers who put together the balloons for our RAD event.
Roosevelt Activity Days (RAD)
Thank you to everyone who has donated to RAD, Roosevelt’s fall fundraiser. As you may have heard from your students, if we reach a minimum of $10,000 in fundraising donations, then the Advisor’s house that brings in the most donations will have the opportunity to toss a whipped cream pie in the face of our administrators, Eric and Mike (all in good fun, of course). As of Friday afternoon, we had reached a total of $9691.92.We have extended the contest to tomorrow, 11/19. Any donations received by the end of day tomorrow will count for the house contest. Don’t forget, you can still donate online at: https://www.schoolpay.com/link/RAD-2019.
The image to the right shows the current standings of the ten houses with the most fundraising donations in the house competition.
Volunteers Needed for Upcoming Activities
Dear RMS Families we have some great volunteer opportunities:
* Stories for the Stage Showcase: Please sign up HERE to donate juices and cookies to our 7 and 8th grade Stories for the Stage Showcase on November 26th and 27th. *The cookies and juice need to be dropped at the RMS office on November 26th.
* Soap Lab with Siegrist and Naghski’s classes (Nov. 26th): Volunteers will help prep soap lab, clean up after periods, and supervise safety in the classroom.
* Salmon watch field trip with Naghski’s 7th grade classes (Nov. 27th): Duties will be to stay with group, supervise safety, making good choices, and enjoying the salmon watch field trip. Volunteers will be riding the bus with the students and teacher to Whitaker Creek. The bus will leave at 9am.
* 7th Grade OMSI Trip: RMS 7th grade families come join your student on a day trip to OMSI on April 29th, 2020. Chaperones will get to reminisce about their childhood during their ride on a yellow bus, explore the Body Worlds exhibit, and assist their student group in a science scavenger hunt through the other OMSI exhibits. More details to follow next year. Only 40 spots are available.
For either volunteer opportunity contact Laura Fuhriman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Stress, Anxiety, and Depression in Middle Schoolers: How to Recognize it & What to Do
Please come out and join your school community in this Parents at Roosevelt gathering in the Roosevelt library this Thursday evening, November 21st from 6:00 to 7:30.
Marriage and Family Therapist Paul Bolle will lead a discussion on how to notice signs of stress and how best to support your child in the sometimes turbulent transition from childhood to teen. Come and join in whichever way feels most comfortable, whether it might be contributing your own thoughts and experiences, or just being a present and supportive observer.
This is an excellent opportunity to increase your connection to your child’s school family and to take home with you a sense of confidence about your changing relationship with your growing teen. We look forward to seeing you there.
South Eugene Youth Wrestling–
Wrestling helps boys and girls improve physical and mental toughness, self-confidence, self-defense, self-discipline, and sportsmanship. It is available to South Eugene kids enrolled in Kindergarten through 8th grade. Practices are in the South Eugene High School Wrestling room (next to main gym) on Mondays/Thursdays 6:15-7:15 pm November 14-January 13.
No practice or meets 12/26 through 12/30. Competitions are Sunday mornings, starting November 24. To sign up, come to any practice a few minutes early and speak to Coach Matt Burney (317-645-6960, email@example.com).
More information is available online at orwayvalleywrestling.org.
Let’s Talk! Student Success Act Investments for Success
New funding is coming to 4J schools. Oregon’s Student Success Act is expected to provide Eugene School District 4J about $12–13 million per year starting with the 2020–21 school year—about a 5% increase in the district’s general fund budget.
The district is engaging staff, families and community members to inform the planning for how to spend these funds to best support student success. The funds must be targeted to increase academic achievement, reduce disparities among student groups, and meet students’ behavioral and mental health needs. You’re invited to join the conversation.
Childcare, light refreshments, and Spanish interpretation will be provided.
* Tue., Nov. 19, 5:30–6:30 p.m., Churchill High School, 1850 Bailey Hill Road
* Thu., Nov. 21, 7–8 p.m., North Eugene High School, 200 Silver Lane
* Mon., Nov. 25, 5:30–6:30 p.m., South Eugene High School, 400 E. 19th Ave.
Meeting in Spanish, with English interpretation:
* Tue., Nov. 19, 7–8 p.m., Churchill High School, 1850 Bailey Hill Road
Learn more: www.4j.lane.edu/studentsuccess
Inversiones para el éxito: ¡Hablemos sobre la Ley de éxito estudiantil!
Nuevos fondos están llegando a las escuelas de 4J. Se espera que la Ley de Éxito Estudiantil de Oregon proporcione al Distrito Escolar de Eugene 4J alrededor de $12–13 millones por año a partir del año escolar 2020–21. Esto significa alrededor de un aumento del 5% en el presupuesto del fondo general del distrito.
El distrito está involucrando al personal, las familias y los miembros de la comunidad para ayudar en la planeación de cómo utilizar estos fondos para apoyar mejor el éxito de los estudiantes. Los fondos deben estar dirigidos a aumentar el rendimiento académico, reducir las diferencias entre los grupos de estudiantes y satisfacer las necesidades de comportamiento y salud mental de los estudiantes. Está invitado a unirse a la conversación.
Reunión en español, con interpretación en inglés:
* martes 19, 7–8 p.m., Escuela Preparatoria Churchill, 1850 Bailey Hill Road
Reuniónes en inglés con interpretación en español:
* martes, 19 de noviembre, 5:30–6:30 p.m., Escuela Preparatoria Churchill, 1850 Bailey Hill Road
* jueves, 21 de noviembre, 7–8 p.m., Escuela Preparatoria North Eugene, 200 Silver Lane
* lunes, 25 de noviembre, 5:30–6:30 p.m., Escuela Preparatoria South Eugene, 400 E. 19th Ave.
Se proporcionará bocadillos y cuidado de niños.
Obtenga más información en: www.4j.lane.edu/studentsuccess
Earn Free Money for Roosevelt!
Click on the link above and register your credit/debit cards, designating Roosevelt Middle School—Recipient ID #6723045. Earn money for Roosevelt every time you shop at Market of Choice, Sizzle Pie (& other local restaurants).
Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Roosevelt. You can search by our name or by our non-profit number GB554. Click on the link above.
Download the Box Top for Education App in Google Play or the App Store, sign up (or sign in) and take a picture of your receipt within 14 days of purchase. It will automatically credit the school for each product. For more information, click on the link above.