Hi RMS families,
Here’s this week’s news. There won’t be eNews postings for the next for 2 weeks due to winter break. Happy holidays!
(M) Dec 23 – (F) Jan 3 No School – Winter Break
(M) Jan 6 No School – Furlough Day
(T) Jan 7 Classes resume
(M) Jan 13 Mazzi’s Fundraiser
(M) Jan 20 No School – MLK Day
(Th) Jan 23 6th Grade Band Concert
(Th) Feb 6 Activity Night
IMPORTANT MESSAGE: MAKE-UP DAYS ADDED, NO-SCHOOL DAYS MOVED
Dear parents and guardians,
Eugene 4J schools were closed for students for four days last week due to snow and ice. The snow days will be made up on days that originally had been scheduled to be no-school days for unpaid furlough: March 31, April 17 and 18, and May 23.
The end of the second trimester and the grading and professional development/planning days at that time have been postponed by one week.
These changes mean that 4J students will not lose any school days as a result of last week’s weather and the three trimesters will be balanced in length.
SCHOOL CALENDAR CHANGES:
• March 13: Regular school day (was no-school staff work day for middle and high schools)
• March 14: Regular school day (was no-school staff work day for all schools)
• March 20: No school at middle and high schools (staff work day)
• March 21: No school at all schools (staff work day); end of second trimester
• March 31: Regular school day (was no-school furlough day); first day of third trimester
• April 17: Regular school day (was no-school furlough day)
• April 18: Regular school day (was no-school furlough day)
• May 23: Regular school day (was no-school furlough day)
Thank you for your patience and understanding with these schedule changes due to last week’s hazardous weather.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to HAP with volunteer hours. This includes:
Kay Fullerton, Liz Phelps, Kathryn Genoves, Teresa Elmore, Becky Gordon, Mitchell Finkle, Patrick Miller, Francine Berryman, Megan Reaves, Nadine Batya, Katharine de Baun, Bernadette Conover, Julie Hubbard-McNall, Oshrit Livne, Katy Brundan, Bessie Joyce, Jessie Cummins, Lisa von der heydt, JoAnn Hoffman, Lisa Ingold, Maryam Jahangiri, Dana Flemming, Bronte Miller, Dene Eller, Dana and Brent Clark, and Mike Fullerton.
We’d also like to thank Albertson’s on 30th Street for providing discounted food and dedicated assistance; Fred Meyer for gift certificates, and Safeway for gift certificates.
Thank you to our Roosevelt community for all of your kind gifts of furniture and household items to our family in need. You are truly awesome! Please know that you are much appreciated.
Flu Season is here and it’s not to late to get the Flu vaccine!
The CDC recommends you get an Influenza vaccination annually at any time during the influenza season. In Oregon those months are October through March!
Remember that the most effective methods for preventing the spread of infection are to:
- Wash your hands
- Cover your cough with you sleeve or a tissue
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid close contact with people who have a cold or the flu (Stay home if you are sick!)
- Get an influenza vaccination each year!
Check with your health care provider about getting the influenza vaccination. Also most pharmacies have low cost influenza immunizations available!
FOR 8TH GRADE FAMILIES
Are you curious about global events? Do you enjoy considering different perspectives on world issues? Do you want to make a difference in your local and global community?
You might be interested in Eugene International High School! Eugene IHS is an award-winning alternative high school in international studies for students in grades 9-12. Located at Churchill, Sheldon and South Eugene, the school is open via district lottery to any student who wishes to attend. If you are curious about the world, love languages, and learning in a close-knit, unique environment that is both challenging and supportive, consider Eugene IHS as your high school choice.
Admission into Eugene IHS is through the 4J District lottery process; all students must fill out a School Choice application. School choice applications for 2014-15 will be available in January. Go to the 4J District school choice web page for school choice deadlines and applications:http://www.4j.lane.edu/choice.
IMPORTANT DATES for the 2013-2014 School Year:
January 1 School Choice Applications for lottery available
February 28 In-District deadline to submit School Choice Applications for high school lottery
March 14 Deadline to notify high schools of School Choice decision
April 1 Out-of-District transfer Applications Due
Immersion students will be enrolled in Eugene IHS without the lottery process. However, immersion students do need to submit the Eugene IHS enrollment form to the Eugene IHS office at South or Sheldon by the February 28 deadline. This form will be included in a special mailing to immersion families.
Interested Parents and Students:
Please come to one of the special information nights listed below to hear more about Eugene International High School and enrollment information.
- Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, South Eugene cafeteria (includes French Immersion break-out session)
- Wednesday, February 12, 7:45 pm in the South Eugene cafeteria (Joint evening with South)
- Tuesday, February 18, 7:00 pm, Sheldon lecture hall
- Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Sheldon lecture hall (includes Spanish Immersion break-out session)
- Monday, February 10, 7:00 pm, Churchill cafeteria
For more information contact one of the Eugene IHS offices below, or visit their website at www.ihs.4j.lane.edu
Eugene IHS @ Churchill: 541-790-5225
Eugene IHS @ Sheldon: 541-790-6636
Eugene IHS @ South Eugene: 541-790-8030