Weekly News & Updates
Check out this week’s eNEWS for upcoming events, a thank you to volunteers, a request for volunteers, lost and found, RMS Activity Night, November Staff Appreciation, Parent-Teacher conferences, a reminder about parking lot safety, and information about science fair mentoring.
If you do not wish to receive the eNEWS, or no longer have a student at Roosevelt, please click on Unsubscribe in the footer at the bottom of this email.
Oct. 24th (Th) – Solo and Chamber Recital (6:00 PM)
Oct. 25th (F) – Activity Night (6:30 PM)
Nov. 5th (T) – Cornucopia Fundraiser
Nov. 6th (W) – Parent-Teacher Conferences
Nov. 7th (Th) – NO SCHOOL: Parent-Teacher Conferences
Nov. 8th (F) – NO SCHOOL: Professional Development
Nov. 11th (M) – NO SCHOOL: Veteran’s Day
Thank You Volunteers!
Hello 7th Grade Families,
I wanted to extend a huge thank you to the parents who volunteered for my solubility lab. Thank you Jennifer Volem, Sarah Daywitt, Laura Fuhriman, Arafaat Loan-Valiani, Anna Sim, Joanna Bownik, Sarid Ditton and Jamie Harms. I couldn’t have done it without you!
Thank you for the all the volunteers who donated cookies, drinks, cups and napkins for our 6th Grade Drama Showcase.
The Drama Department
RMS Volunteers Needed
Roosevelt Middle School would love to have you as a volunteer!!! Come and join us.
Go to www.helpcounter.net/eugene. Make sure to check all the areas where you want to help. Once the application has been processed you will receive an email from the District about an online training (SafeSchools). Discard the due date and do the online training as soon as possible and email me (email@example.com) the Certificate of Completion.
Once I have all the information I will contact you when volunteers are needed.
Thank you for your time and talent, we are looking forward to meet you soon.
Laura Fuhriman Volunteer Coordinator at RMS
Lost & Found
Please remind your students to check the lost and found for missing jackets, binders, water bottles and many other items. Parents may check the lost and found before and after school. All items in the lost and found will be cleared out and donated at the end of October.
RMS Activity Night THIS Friday
Friday, October 25th, 2019
Halloween Theme: Costumes are optional – (NO Masks that cover the face)
What is Activity Night?
Activity Night is a fun and safe opportunity for all Roosevelt students to socialize in a safe and familiar place.
What are some of the activities?
* DJ/Dancing in the small gym
* Karaoke, Bingo, Ping Pong
* Concessions – pizza, chips, popcorn, juice ($.50-$1.00)
* Coat room (lockers are not available to students so you are discouraged from bringing any bags)
* AND MORE . . .
Activities will be located in the Dining Hall and C Hall only. The rest of the school will be closed, including ALL lockers. Use the coat room to store your stuff. Entry will ONLY be through the admission doors in the back of the building at the dining hall.
Who is invited?
Activity Night is for Roosevelt students only except: students wanting to invite a friend who attends another middle school, must fill out a permission form signed by an administrator from both schools. Forms are available in the front office and are due by Thursday October 24. Visitors pay $5 for admission at the door. No visitors will be admitted without a signed permission form approved and in the office by October 24.
Students who do not attend school on Friday may not attend Activity Night Friday night.
$3.00 in advance ($1.50 for reduced lunch program; free for families that qualify)
$5.00 for EVERYONE at the door
If you purchase admission in advance, you must bring your activity night card with you; otherwise you will pay $5 at the door.
How is the money used?
Proceeds from activity night are first used to cover the expenses of activity night and any remaining funds are used to support various school programs, including field trips, teacher classroom grants, student scholarships and similar uses.
ACTIVITY NIGHT CARDS GO ON SALE IN HOUSE MONDAY, OCTOBER 21.
* Drop off and pick up are in the parking lot on the east side of the school. All students enter through the south Dining Hall doors. NO ENTRY AT THE FRONT OF THE SCHOOL.
* Students may NOT leave early unless a parent picks them up.
* All students must be picked up promptly at 8:00 pm
Students may wear costumes to school, but they must conform to the Roosevelt Middle School dress code as stated in the student planner. Costumes may not be demeaning to any ethnic group, race, religion, nationality, disability, gender, or individual (staff or student) at the school.
* No unsafe props or equipment including replica or toy weapons are to be brought to school.
* No costumes that would completely hide the identity of the student, i.e. gorilla suit, mask, etc.
* No costumes that would impair a student’s vision or movement.
* All students participating must come to school dressed in their costumes – no getting ready in the building. Make up, hair products etc will be confiscated and not returned. If you are not sure, don’t wear it!
REMINDERS ABOUT ACTIVITY NIGHT:
1. Students who purchased activity night cards in advance must bring their activity night cards with them and enter the building at the south side cafeteria door near the theater stage.
2. Students who pay at the door (including guests) enter at the south side cafeteria door near the parking lot.
3. No outside food or drink is allowed at activity night.
4. If you do not come to school on Friday you may not attend activity night.
5. No taking videos during activity night.
6. The same rules that apply to clothing during the school day apply at activity night.
7. Students may not go to their lockers during activity night.
8. No one may leave early unless your parent comes to pick you up.
9. All students must be picked up promptly at 8:00 pm.
November Staff Appreciation
Let’s fill our teachers with thanks and a delicious dinner during parent-teacher conferences. We’re serving up a lasagna dinner and need your help. Please click on the link below and find a slot or two that works for you and makes conferences a little easier (and tastier) for teachers. All items should be at RMS no later than 5:00 on Thursday, November 7th.
You are also welcome to drop off your items in the office on Wednesday, November 6th. Please include a list of any allergenic ingredients (peanuts, eggs, dairy, etc) and label all items with your name for ease of return.
Staff Appreciation Sign-Up
Roosevelt’s parent teacher conferences are coming soon, on Wednesday and Thursday, November 6 and 7, 4-8pm. This year families will utilize electronic scheduling to reserve up to three conferences with their student’s teachers. If more than three conferences are scheduled for a student, then we will cancel your appointment with one of the core curriculum teachers, such as math, language arts, science or social studies. *If you have a special circumstance, contact Roosevelt administration.*
Scheduling is completed on a first come, first served basis. Due to high demand, it is not possible to schedule all requests. Therefore, if you don’t have concerns, you may choose not to participate.
All conferences will be in both the small gym (teacher last names A-L) and the large gym (teacher last names M-W). Parents move from table to table, to meet with up to three teachers for a ten minute appointment with each, according to the schedule you create electronically. Please enter at the gym entrance doors next to the parking lot.
The last day to schedule conferences is Sunday, October 27.
Watch for an email arriving in your inbox from principal Eric Anderson, with the link and detailed instructions.
REMINDER: Student Pick-Up and Drop-Off
Student safety is our number one concern. To ensure a safe parking lot please remember:
1) Stay in the right pause parking lane (marked by a green curb) at drop-off and pick-up and move as far forward as possible toward the soccer field. Stopping at the entrance creates a traffic jam. Do not use the left “drive through” lane to leap frog into a spot further up. Leap frogging has created many near miss incidents.
2) If you need to exit your vehicle, do not use pause parking. Please find a parking spot.
3) Drivers must always turn right out of the parking lot onto 24thfrom 8:15 – 9:15 and 3:15 – 4:15, or use the alternative exit to Hilyard. The “right turn only” rule keeps traffic flowing and is predictable for pedestrians.
4) Please make sure to observe the speed limit for School Zones. The speed limit is 20 mph on all streets used to approach RMS.
Science Fair Project Mentoring!
Thanks to a grant from the Society for Science and the Public, SPICE, is partnering Grade 5-8 students with university student mentors to support science fair projects.
If you know a student who would like to enter a project into the Central Western Oregon Science Expo or the UO Science Fair, SPICE can help connect them with a mentor.
Priority will be given to students from underrepresented groups including:
* Students with Disabilities
* Underrepresented racial & Ethnic Minorities
* Low-Income/First generation college aspirants
To connect a student with a mentor please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about SPICE visit their website at: https://spicescience.uoregon.edu/
Earn Free Money for Roosevelt!
Click on the link above and register your credit/debit cards, designating Roosevelt Middle School—Recipient ID #6723045. Earn money for Roosevelt every time you shop at Market of Choice, Sizzle Pie (& other local restaurants).
Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Roosevelt. You can search by our name or by our non-profit number GB554. Click on the link above.
Download the Box Top for Education App in Google Play or the App Store, sign up (or sign in) and take a picture of your receipt within 14 days of purchase. It will automatically credit the school for each product. For more information, click on the link above.